Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Is it the end of books?

When was the last time you picked up a real book? I might be wrong and there are many of us who are still not infected with the "E book virus" and it was a couple hours ago. Technology keeps on making our life better as they say. But is it really? Let’s talk about books; I am not very familiar with all these ideas of E books. The only thing I do know is that you don’t have to buy an actual book anymore. Well that is if you don’t want to. You can download an app in your I phone or if you have any Smartphone. You can also buy one of those kindle things or an I pad. The point is that you don’t have to buy an actual hardcopy. I'm not so happy of the idea of these E books. I like reading books but actually having it in my hand, writing in it going back to previous pages, even doodling on the book. I mean many may argue that you can also do that in an E book, but it’s not the same. Whether I like it or not I do believe that in the next years books will disappear.  I’m not talking about in two or three, I give it 10 years.  I guess it makes it easier for everyone to read a book.  You don’t have to go through the trouble of finding it in a library or buying it. But if books disappear then what would happen to the libraries, would those disappear too.  I really do hope not!

1 comment:

  1. Even the very language surrounding how we talk about books, as you've mentioned here--Ebook, ipad, app, smartphone--indicate a whole new world out there that is affecting printed material. Your comment about libraries is interesting; let's hope that the future of libraries is a brave new world and will improve our literacy in ways never imagined before!

    ReplyDelete